By Theodore Shoebat
Nigerian troops have overpowered five hundred Muslim terrorists in battle and have killed them all. Now its being said that 8000 more troops will be being sent to crush Boko Haram in the region. According to a recent report:
A Nigerien police spokesperson, Captain Adili Toro, announced Wednesday that the regional military coalition had killed over 500 Boko Haram militants since February 8.
He added that 24 Nigerian soldiers and at least one civilian had been killed in the military offensives.
“These results were achieved, not only because of the decision by authorities to proclaim a state of emergency, but also by the dedication of the population who did not hesitate to denounce accomplices,” he said.
Toro went on to say, “These measures helped restore hope to the population … However, a lot more remains to be done to bring serenity.”
The African Union has also said that it will be sending over 8,000 troops to support the fight against Boko Haram, a violent Nigerian Islamist movement.
Over the past few months, Boko Haram, which is based in northeastern Nigeria, has begun attacking Niger and Chad in response to the two countries joining a military coalition with Nigeria and Cameroon to defeat the Boko Haram.
Boko Haram’s goal is to establish a conservative Islamist state in northeastern Nigeria. Since 2009, the group has been attacking government buildings and personnel, as well as the local population. Thirteen thousand people have died in the civil war and 1.5 million have been displaced. Recently, Boko Haram pledged allegiance to the Islamic State group that is based in Iraq and Syria.
A month ago, Niger, Chad, Cameroon, and Nigeria agreed to a regional military coalition to fight against Boko Haram. The militaries have been reporting that their offensives have been successful.