Yesterday, terrorism expert Steve Emerson reported that the now infamous Saudi national Abdul Rahman Ali Al-Harbi, who was briefly a ‘person of interest’ in the Boston marathon bombings, was scheduled for deportation next Tuesday.
A spokesman for ICE attempted to debunk this charge, which would seemingly discredit Emerson.
But alas, the government has been racking up quite a dubious history lately. At some point, its credibility must necessarily be incredible if this continues (didn’t the Obama administration blame a video for Benghazi attacks?).
Via The Blaze:
Documents have been presented to Congress confirming that plans were made to revoke the visa of Abdul Rahman Ali Alharbi, a Saudi national once considered a “person of interest” in the Boston bombings, a congressional source told TheBlaze on Thursday.
Other sources, including one at the FBI, previously informed TheBlaze that there have been discussions about deporting Alharbi on “security and related grounds.” He has been living in the Boston area and in the U.S. on a student visa. An FBI source said the agency is against deporting Alharbi because of his status as a material witness.
The congressional source told TheBlaze it was unclear as to why representatives from Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) would be unaware of this information. Earlier on Thursday, an official with ICE said it was “categorically false” that Alharbi had ever been considered for deportation.
The congressional source, however, said the information sent to Congress showed that a file was created on “Abdul Rahman Ali Al Harby” at 4 p.m. on Tuesday by an official with the National Targeting Center, a counterterrorism sub-agency of U.S. Customs and Border Protection and the Department of Homeland Security. The file stated that the individual is “linked to the Boston bombing” and was to be processed for revocation of his visa based on national security grounds, the congressional source revealed.
Didn’t the FBI ask for tips?