After making a video showing Muslim terrorists destroying a church and holy objects, an ISIS soldier held up a picture of Pope Francis and declared the group is going to strike at the Church itself as part of its war on Christianity. They promised an attack on the Vatican and an attempt at murdering Pope Francis himself according to a recent report:
A top aid for Pope Francis has admitted that the latest Islamic State video that targets Pope Francis is prompting concern but said the pope won’t be making any schedule adjustments.
“I saw, yes, yesterday that video that was shown on TV: evidently, one cannot avoid worrying. Especially because of this senseless hatred that there is,” Vatican Secretary of State Cardinal Pietro Parolin said on Saturday, according to Crux Now.
Still, Parolin shared that he is unaware of any new security measures that the Vatican will be taking as a result of the video, which was released last week.
Paloma García Ovejero, the pope’s deputy spokesperson, added: “We haven’t raised the security measures because the controls are already very high. St. Peter’s Square, as pilgrims and tourists can ascertain, is always very well protected.”
Ovejero affirmed that the Roman Catholic Church leader will not be cowered by IS.
“Pope Francis hasn’t changed a thing in his agenda, nor is he going to. Furthermore, he’ll continue to foment dialogue, creating bridges, defending peace. With Muslims and Christians,” he stated.
Catholic News Agency reported on Friday that the video, filmed by IS militants in the Philippine city of Marawi, features scenes of jihadists setting fire to churches and destroying Catholic statues and relics.
In one of the scenes, an extremist tears up a photo of Francis and Pope Emeritus Pope Benedict XVI Benedict XVI, declaring: “Remember this, you kuffar (non-Muslims) – we will be in Rome, we will be in Rome, inshallah [god willing].”
A narrator vows: “After all their efforts, it would be the religion of the cross that would be broken. The crusaders’ enmity toward the Muslims only served to embolden a generation of youth.”
The video was reportedly distributed by pro-IS group Al Hayat, and depicts scenes of the battle for Marawi, Philippines, parts of which were seized by IS-linked Maute militants back in May. (source)